President Donald Trump has signed an executive order targeting Iran's supreme leader and his associates with financial sanctions. Trump says the supreme leader is responsible for Iran's hostile conduct.
The White House was put under lockdown on Monday morning, according to reporters who cover the administration. Journalists posted messages on social media announcing the lockdown as they were assembled in the White House press briefing room, where they have not had a briefing in nearly 100 days. “We are literally locked in here,” wrote Megan Pratz, a reporter for Cheddar. “We can’t see much but Secret Service officers just ran across the lawn.”The Secret Service posted a statement on Twitter minutes later saying the agency was “responding to an incident involving a suspicious package located on Pennsylvania Ave.”Nearby pedestrian traffic routes were closed on Monday, the Secret Service added. The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment. > Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers are responding to an incident involving a suspicious package located on Pennsylvania Ave. Pedestrian traffic is closed along Pennsylvania Ave. between 15th and 17th streets to include Lafayette Park. pic.twitter.com/t7veePoDb7> > — U.S. Secret Service (@SecretService) > > June 24, 2019More follows…
* Democratic presidential contender addresses town hall meeting * White officer shot black man dead earlier this monthPete Buttigieg shares a moment with Shirley Newbill, mother of Eric Logan, during a memorial event in South Bend on Wednesday. Photograph: Michael Caterina/APThe Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg has faced criticism from angry black residents at an emotional town hall meeting in South Bend, Indiana, a week after a white police officer fatally shot a black man in the city where he is mayor.Buttigieg agreed that an external investigation should take place into the fatal shooting of Eric Logan, a 54-year-old black man, by a white police officer, Sgt Ryan O’Neill. Prosecutors investigating said that the shooting was not recorded by O’Neill’s body camera.The presidential hopeful said he would send a letter to the federal Department of Justice’s civil rights division and notify the local prosecutor that he’d like an independent investigator appointed. He conceded that his administration had failed on two key initiatives.“The effort to recruit more minority officers to the police department and the effort to introduce body cameras have not succeeded and I accept responsibility for that,” Buttigieg said.The town hall grew contentious when some community members questioned whether the mayor had done enough to reform the police department in the city of 100,000 people, which is about a quarter black.“Get the people that are racist off the streets,” one woman in the audience said. “Reorganize your department. You can do that by Friday.”Buttigieg acknowledged the South Bend police department had fallen short in recruiting minority police officers and introducing body cameras.Buttigieg left the campaign trail after the shooting to respond to issues of race and policing. On Friday he left other Democrats in South Carolina and flew back to South Bend, where a tense meeting ensued with family members of the dead man and protesters. He went back to South Carolina to speak alongside other candidates on Saturday, then returned home again.Buttigieg, 37, has surged from obscurity to regularly place in the top five of national and state polls of the sprawling Democratic presidential field. On Sunday the realclearpolitics.com average of national polls placed him equal fourth on 7.1% with the California senator Kamala Harris.Former vice-president Joe Biden, Vermont senator Bernie Sanders and Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren were in the top three slots.Buttigieg’s national visibility has placed greater scrutiny on his record in office in South Bend, particularly with regard to police affairs.
TSA, trying to boost enrollment in the expedited security program, is studying options including a shorter, cheaper membership and mobile enrollment.
(Bloomberg) -- Malaysia’s Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said he underestimated the challenges of governing the country before his shock election victory last year.“I underestimated because we were on the outside and we didn’t get any information on what was happening on the inside,” Mahathir said in an interview with Bloomberg Television’s Haslinda Amin in Bangkok at the 5th Bloomberg Asean Business Summit. “We are having a very tough time dealing with damages in the finances as well as the crimes that were committed.”Here are some key comments from the interview:1MDBGoldman Sachs offered “a little compensation” versus the “huge killing” it made, Mahathir said, noting he was unsure where the money lost from the 1MDB scandal has gone.The scandal surrounding 1MDB sprawls from the U.S. to Switzerland, reaching the highest levels of Malaysian politics while ensnaring Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in its first criminal case. Mahathir has raised the amount he wants to recoup from 1MDB to $7 billion after previously saying he sought $4.5 billion that U.S. prosecutors estimated went missing from the state fund. So far, the Southeast Asian country has brought back less than $500 million.Mahathir said in May he was awaiting a response from Goldman Sachs before deciding whether to take legal action against the bank over “too high” fees on 1MDB bond sales. Malaysia had already announced criminal charges against Goldman in December, accusing the lender of misleading investors when it knew that funds raised from the $6.5 billion bond offer it arranged would be misappropriated. The bank said it will defend against the allegations.ChinaMahathir disagreed he was sending a message to the U.S. by taking China’s side on certain issues. It’s “free speech,” he said. “I don’t like the old idea of cooking something up in the West and then asking us to accept them. China is a bit more sensitive to our feelings.”On the resumed multi-billion dollar rail project, he said: “We were able to renegotiate the terms of the contract. It is quite obvious that the contract was overpriced.,” he said. The government considered dropping the project altogether “but did not want to pay huge compensation on it.”The project will now cost 44 billion ringgit ($10.7 billion) instead of the original 65.5 billion ringgit, according to a statement from the prime minister’s office in April.SuccessionLast May, Mahathir led Malaysia to its first change in government since its independence from Britain in 1957. The country is set for another political shift as he is expected to hand over power to Anwar Ibrahim, who said Mahathir had made it “very clear” that Anwar would get the top seat by May next year.Mahathir said he will hand over to Anwar in “a year or so.” He doesn’t want to leave Malaysia in shambles, he said, pointing to the state of the country when his predecessor Najib Razak was ousted.“I made a promise, I keep my promise,” Mahathir said. When asked why he was reluctant to set a date for the handover, Mahathir said it was because “there may be something I need to do before I step down,” noting he wanted to fix Malaysia’s debt.When asked whether he had changed, Mahathir replied: “I don’t know, I’m still myself. Well I want to work for the country. I don’t have much of a future so the last thing I want to do is to go away leaving the country in shambles, like the previous one.”EconomyMahathir has trimmed state spending to narrow the budget deficit to 3.4% of gross domestic product this year, from a five-year high of 3.7% last year. Fiscal recovery remains fragile as the government spends billions rescuing troubled institutions from the Hajj fund to an agency overseeing farmers. His administration replaced a sweeping goods-and-services tax with a more targeted consumption tax last year, and is now counting on state oil company dividends to support revenue.The government would be careful in choosing buyers for beleaguered national carrier Malaysian Airlines Bhd, he said Friday, noting: “If there is a good offer, we will consider.”(Updates with Mahathir comment in 14th paragraph. An earlier version of this story corrected a quote in 3rd and 11th paragraphs from story that moved on Friday.)To contact the reporters on this story: Yudith Ho in Kuala Lumpur at email@example.com;Anisah Shukry in Kuala Lumpur at firstname.lastname@example.orgTo contact the editor responsible for this story: Ruth Pollard at email@example.comFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
Italy's hardline Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said he would hold the Netherlands and the European Union "responsible" for the fate of 42 migrants that Rome has blocked from disembarking at Italian ports for over a week. The Dutch-flagged rescue boat Sea-Watch 3 has been stuck in the Mediterranean since rescuing 53 migrants drifting in an inflatable raft off the coast of Libya on June 12. While 11 of those on board the Sea-Watch have been allowed to disembark -- including two pregnant women -- the vessel has been denied permission to dock in Italy.
In a sea of restomods, this pony keeps things original throughout. It’s always refreshing to see people go to great lengths to bring an old classic back to its original form. That’s what this 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback S-Code is all about. Actually, the full-rotisserie restoration process didn’t just match the pony’s original specs, the craftsmanship rises to a higher level. This absolutely stunning machine comes to market via Vanguard Motor Sales.Thanks to the professional restoration, this fastback is bathed in the original Brittney Blue paint, which is absolutely silky smooth. All the body panels are straight, the trim and badges are all in top shape, there’s zero sign of pitting or curb rash on the wheels, and the black interior is of at least showroom quality if not better, just like the rest of the car. In fact, the radio and speaker have been rebuilt, showing just how painstaking the restoration process was. More American Cars Is It Time To Buy Your Dream DeLorean DMC-12? Live Like A Rocker Driving A Customized 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Somebody Needs To Preserve This 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy Pace Car Edition Own This Exceptional Low Mileage 2005 Ford GT The mechanicals are all original and correct. A Ford 390ci FE V8 is mated up to a Toploader 4-speed manual transmission. Both the air cleaner and carburetor are original, so you get an authentic experience. Power is sent to a Ford 9-inch rear. With a heavy-duty suspension upgrade, handling is excellent. The factory Extra Cooling Package makes this ride that much nicer, especially if you live in an especially hot climate. Power disk brakes provide consistent stopping power.Plenty of upgrades originally included in the car make the interior a little nice. There’s the Deluxe Steering Wheel, plus the Sport Deck Rear Seat, the Interior Décor Group, tinted windows, Deluxe Seat Belts, and an AM radio.With only two owners who know each other, this Ford Mustang has been exceptionally cared for throughout its lifetime. All work was completed in 2017 by Desert Classic Mustangs, which is located in Tempe, Arizona. While there are others like this around, finding one in this kind of condition is a rarity, to say the least. Classic Mustangs will only continue to appreciate in value, thanks to their broad appeal and legendary reputation worldwide.
Talks between OPEC and its allies next month about whether to extend their pact on cutting oil supplies "won't be easy" and may be complicated by the situation facing Iran and Venezuela, Kazakh Energy Minister Kanat Bozumbayev said. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and other large oil producers, including Russia and Kazakhstan, meet in Vienna on July 1-2 to discuss whether the oil output deal, which expires after June 30, should be continued. Kazakhstan wanted the deal extended into the second half of the year, he said, describing the oil price in a range of $60-$70 per barrel as "suitable".
Photo Illustration by Sarah Rogers/The Daily Beast / Photos GettyIn this special series, LGBT celebrities and public figures talk to Tim Teeman about the Stonewall Riots and their legacy—see more here.Thomas RobertsJournalistWhen/how did you first hear about the Stonewall Riots, and what did you make of them?I learned of the Stonewall Riots in 2006-2007. It was shortly after coming out publicly. I was utterly impressed at the bravery protesters showed. They put it all on the line for us. The Stonewall Riots: What Really Happened, What Didn’t, and What Became MythWhat is their significance for you?Without Stonewall where would we be today? It was the spark.How far have we LGBT people come since 1969?Since 1969 we’ve come out of the shadows of shame and intolerance. In 50 years the LGBTQ community is a force to be reckon with, but we still have battles ahead. And it’s not solely on LGBTQ rights. We need to show up wherever people are marginalized and oppressed. We need to show up when we aren’t personally the sole beneficiaries.What would you like to see, LGBT-wise, in the next 50 years?I’d love to see an LGBTQ President. And I believe in my lifetime we just might. But in the meantime I want LGBTQ kids to know it’s OK. It’s OK to be different. It’s OK to be gay. The world is a big and wonderful place... eventually we all find our peace. However, it doesn’t come without ups and downs. There will be high highs and low lows. Keep going. It will all be OK. Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
Sheriff's deputies broke up a large gathering of street racers who had taken over a parking lot in Corona, authorities said.