October is National Fire Prevention Month, which makes it an opportune time to review fire safety and prevention in your home. According to Meri-K Appy, president of the Home Safety Council, the time it takes to prevent fires is time well spent. In fact, Appy points out that purchasing only a few items can make all the difference in keeping every household safe.
Every household should have a fire escape plan, proper fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors on every floor. According to the United States Fire Administration (USFA), different types of fires require different types of extinguishers, so do your research. (Click here to review the different types, as well as other information on fire extinguisher safety.)
Other tips to keep your home safe from fires:
Watch what you eat: According to the USFA, cooking equipment left on the stove or range is the leading cause of reported home fires and home injuries. Always stay by the stove when cooking. If you do have to leave the room, make sure to turn off the fire.
Use caution with electric space heaters: In the winter, heating surpasses cooking as the most commonly reported cause of home fires. Make sure space heaters are positioned at least three feet away from furniture and draperies, while always out of reach of children and pets. Never use a space heater when you are not in the room or when you are asleep.
Light with caution: Candles, fireplaces, oil lamps and chimeneas should be carefully monitored when used. According to the USFA, candles cause an estimated 15,600 fires in residential structures each year. Try to use battery-operated electric candles or place wax candles and oil lamps in a sturdy, non-flammable holder.
For more tips on fire safety and prevention, please click here to visit the United States Fire Administration Web site and click here to visit the Home Safety Council site.
Northern NJ Real Estate